Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Day Update

Just a quick day update to keep everyone in the know. Gaim Linux instant messenger has been renamed to pidgin, after threats by AOL they had to change their trademark. Also Blu-Ray is outselling HD DVD. I actually thought that HD-DVD would beat Blu-Ray. I have a feeling though that most of those sales are from 007 Casino Royale.

I think it’s dumb that Gaim was forced to change their name. They used the name Gaim before AOL dubbed AIM, so if anyone should be backing down it should be AOL. I personally think targeting an open-source organization like Gaim is of bad taste anyway.

Sony has never had great success with formats. Look at Betamax. Look at UMD, so my guess is Blu-Ray isn’t going to be all that successful but I’ll reserve my judgment. Like I mentioned I think that HD-DVD needs a few more big titles to start to catch on. HD-DVD already has a big advantage; it’s cheaper in every aspect.

I’d also like to mention about Internet radio. If you haven’t heard about the Internet radio case please visit saveinternet.com and send an e-mail to your senator.

No comments: